The Empty Vessel

Centipedes, Skeletons, and Golems, oh my!

The group found access to a new hallway and then explored a room that was once a guard room and holding cell area, with a number of refuse piles filled with rotting carrion and other filth. Incarnidine dug through one of these piles, disturbing the giant centipede hiding within and the other piles quickly erupted with their own centipedes. The group managed to fight off these centipedes and, feeling confident, went into the next room, a row of jail cells whose doors had rotted off except for one miraculously pristine door at the end. As the full group entered, however, a grick ( dropped from the ceiling behind them and tore into the party, rendering Tyrone unconscious.

After some snapping of tentacles and beak, the party managed to subdue the beast and opted to take a long rest. Now fresh, Umbra approached the pristine door and, not seeing any traps, attempted to pick its lock. Unfortunately, she missed the trigger for a gas trap and suffered significant poison damage. With Umbra unable to open the door, Tyrone used a spell scroll of Knock to bypass its locks and opened the door to a cell empty save for a large chute, 5' in diameter, in the center of the floor leading down into the darkness. With some mishaps getting down the 30' chute, the group found themselves in a strange hall of half formed and misshapen constructs. Poking through this grotesque parody of the Terra Cotta Army, notes on a worktable with arcane formulae were signed often with the name "Revinin" with one note describing the use of an orb to animate the constructs. After knocked over and crushing some of the constructs, the party attempted to do the same to the largest stone construct, a 10' statue with unnatural proportions. Unable to budge the statue, the group moved into the next room, an arcane laboratory filled with undead guards that attacked on sight.

Fighting off the skeletons and zombies, Tyrone was heavily wounded and Umbra rendered unconscious. The Mayor, inspired to act by the dire situation, healed Umbra with inspiring words and the group began to regroup. Suddenly, the main door in the laboratory burst open and the spirit of Yenril, the same form that appeared at the Haverford assault, appeared and cast spells at the Mayor. Desperately acting, the Mayor was able to cast a spell of silence surrounding the spirit and preventing her spells. Clearly frustrated, the spirit drew a glowing rune in the air and left. The rune began changing into what seemed to be a countdown, and as the group managed to flee into the construct hall, the barbarian throwing the door closed behind him, and explosion shook the dungeon.

The group quickly ascended the chute they came down via the rope that was still tied there, and Tyrone and Incarnidine made it to the top. As Umbra and the Mayor began to climb, the stone statue came to life and began pulling the rope down. Incarnidine attempted to pull back against the rope, which began to give way, so the barbarian switched tactics and grabbed Umbra, pulling her up. Tyrone attempted to grab the Mayor but missed, and the rope snapped under the statue's pull causing the Mayor to fall. As the rope snapped, however, a chittering sound filled the above room as eight furry legs scurried over Tyrone and down the chute, grabbing the Mayor and pulling him to safety. The druid returned to his human form, and the group took a moment to catch their breath and decide their next course of action.


dwsweeten dwsweeten

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.